Subscribe via RSS Feed
Brunelleschi Hotel - A Summit Hotel

Brunelleschi Hotel – A Summit Hotel

Hotel Brunelleschi was formed out of the original historic structures of Pagliazza, a Byzantine tower, and San Michele in Palchetto, a medieval church (where the architect Filippo Brunelleschi is said to have prayed). The lobby and bar are modern in style, but set against the oldest part of the hotel—Pagliazza Tower—which dates from Roman times. The hotel’s clientele is generally tourists.

Best Western Grand Hotel Adriatico

Best Western Grand Hotel Adriatico

Modern six storey hotel with garden courtyard and parking, boasting city centre location 300 metres from main train station. Air-conditioned guestrooms feature rich fabrics in soft colours and dark wood furniture; all have satellite TV and minibars. Guests can enjoy buffet breakfasts each morning, sip cocktails out in the garden, and dine on Tuscan fare in the restaurant.

Astoria, A Boscolo First Class Hotel

Astoria, A Boscolo First Class Hotel

This hotel was formerly a baroque palazzo, where the illustrious Gaddi and Arrighetti families resided during the Renaissance. A marble lobby with turquoise-silk sofas leads to the grand staircase. Public areas are appointed with soaring vaulted ceilings, original frescos, Tuscan terracotta floors, and rare antiques. Formal and gracious, the hotel welcomes an international mix of upscale businesspeople and vacationers.

Florence Gastronomy

Florentine cuisine remains the guardian of a great tradition consisting of simple dishes, often prepared with humble, genuine ingredients like bread, oil and vegetables. However, it does not lack in elaborate and imaginative recipes, like the meats prepared in dolceforte, reminiscent of the splendor and eccentricity of the renaissance courts when the aim was more to amaze the guests than to satisfy the palate.

Giardino di Boboli

It was commissioned by Eleonora de Toledo, the wife of Cosimo I. Ammannati and Buontalenti enlarged the garden, decorated with statues and grotte.

Museo Fiorentino di Preistoria “Paolo Graziosi”

This Museum was founded in 1946 by Gaetano Pieraccini and Paolo Graziosi to contain the prehistoric collection present in Florence. It is located in Palazzo delle Oblate and till 1975 it was opened only for specialists and scientists.

Orto Botanico “Giardino dei Semplici”

It was founded by Cosimi de’ Medici and built by Luca Ghini it is the seat of of the most famous botanical schools.

It is one of the oldest botanical gardens, it was created by Niccolò il Tribolo in the first half of 16th century. It was created as a garden for medicinal plants. He had planned flowerbed, bushes etc. Today it remains only the great gate and a stone bust by Esculapio. Ghini led the garden to a wide prestige, but after his dead the garden was neglected. Then Cosimo III gave it to Società Botanica Fiorentina and Pier Antonio Micheli increased the collection of plants and the garden became famous in the world. In 1746 Saverio Manetti published an index with the names of seeds of the garden. In 1783 the property moved to Georgofili Academy and its name changed in “Orto Sperimentale Agrario dell’Accademia dei Georgofili”. Then the direcor became Antonio Targioni Tozzetti and the name was the original Giardino dei Semplici. Then the “Regio Istituto degli Studi Superiori Pratici” changed once again its name in “Orto Botanico dell’Istituto di Studi Superiori”.

Museo Ebraico

Via L. C. Farini leads to the Tempio Israelitico or Synagogue, adjoining is the Museo Ebraico di Firenze or Jewish Museum of Florence, which features objects of Hebrew ceremonial and a number of ancient codices. In the Museum you can admire the Monumento ai Deportati; the original is located in Jerusalem. The museu told the history of jewish community: a plastic model represent the ancient ghetto, there are many photos, religious objects as medals and sacred dress.

Museo di Palazzo Medici Riccardi

Palazzo Medici-Riccardi was built by Michelozzo for Cosimo the Elder. It contains imporant works such as Donatello’s Giuditta. Cosimo praised this building saying that it was a too big house for such a small family. Then its property moved to Riccardi family: they built more windows and main door. There are many differencies between the old and the new part; Riccardi added their symbol a key.

Museo dell’Opera di Santa Maria del Fiore

It was built by Repubblica Fiorentina and named “fabbriceria”. This Museum housed works of art by Arnolfo di Cambio, the first architect of the Opera, Giotto, Andrea Pisano, Francesco Talenti and Filippo Brunelleshi.